Saturday, December 26, 2009

Checking out how the bed looks with the new wheels

The next thing we need to do on the truck is to modify the bed rails to fit the new rear tires. This requires cutting out access for the tires. In order to visualize and measure the bed for modification, we decided it was time to mount one of the rear tires and place the bed onto the truck. This has given us a chance to measure how much to cut into the bed rails as well as to determine how deep the new inner fenders will need to be to cover the rear tires. I think the truck really looks great! Take a look, I think you'll agree!

These are awesome Dad... :)

New rear tire fit perfectly! Right after we put this on and I stepped back to take a look at it, Dad said to me.. "Oh no Dustin, the tire is rubbing against the frame!" I ran over to it and said "You've gotta be kidding".. and he said.. "HAH! Gotcha!" Not cool.. My heart almost stopped. ;)

Jen's Dad Mike helped my Dad and I lift the bed onto the back of the truck

As you can see, the new tires sit pretty far into the bed so we'll need to install fairly deep inner fender tubs in the bed so the tires have the clearance needed.

Everything is coming along really well! We're having a great time too!

This is a good shot of the truck with the bed sitting in its temporary position over the wheels..

I have to say.. I've really enjoyed working on the truck with Dad.. He has a real knack for this type of stuff and really keeps me motivated to work on it with him. I'm learning a ton about restoration and how to make the best of what we have on the truck. It really makes me happy to see how much my Dad enjoys this. Hopefully by summer we'll have the truck ready to drive! Keep your fingers crossed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment